Los-Angeles-protest.jpg-gidibase

 

Hundreds of protesters thronged Los Angeles’ police headquarters on Tuesday, after an investigation into the fatal 2015 shooting of a black robbery suspect found that the police had not broken department rules, the report said.

In a hearing into the shooting death of Redel Jones, 30, in August 2015, the Police Commission criticised the actions of two Los Angeles Police Department officers who were involved in the killing.

It was found that their actions did not violate the department’s deadly force policy, the Los Angeles Times reported.

Protesters inside the meeting shouted down the panel as the decision was announced.

Outside, hundreds of demonstrators separated from the police headquarters by metal barriers reacted angrily, waving fists and chanting “black lives, we matter here,” according to news video broadcast by ABC.

Activists on social media called on demonstrators to flood the city’s government district and “shut down city hall” where a large group had gathered on the steps, shouting Jones’ name.

The social media showed protesters trying to force the door of the building as police inside struggled to keep it closed.

Jones was one of more than 100 black people killed by police in the US in 2015.

The Police said she threatened them with a knife, but an eyewitness disputes their account.

The decision on her death came amid heightened tensions between black communities and police over last week’s police killings of black men in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and St Paul, Minnesota.

The report said that the shooting by a black sniper on a protest also killed five police officers in Dallas.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here